Forge de Laguiole
Pierre-Jean Calmels, blacksmith Laguiole, designed the first Laguiole knife in 1829, drawing on two models, the capuchadou, usual knife farmers Aubrac and navaja Spanish, Catalan reported by seasonal workers.
The hardest soaked in the purest water, the source of the village of Laguiole, a spring to bend the blade, shaped in the Horn of Aubrac cattle handle and a steel knife exception was born.
Over the years, Pierre-Jean Calmels perfected his art and soon to impose its folding knife, adding in 1840, a punch to meet the needs of farmers and shepherds.
In 1880, the Laguiole gains a third piece: the corkscrew.
His appearance remains tied to the sale of wine in bottles in urban society, but also at the request of Aveyron out to conquer the Parisian cafes.
Patterns and waiters remained faithful to their traditions and pride felt the knife out of the three parts of their vest pocket.
From the late nineteenth century, this rustic knife became a popular accessory city of the bourgeoisie of the time by adorning precious materials such as ivory.
The ornamental details of the handle and the spring became more diversified in 1910.
Sculpture adorning the head spring of the first models experienced different stylistic developments such as the diamond, the lily, the four-leaf clover, the man wearing a Phrygian cap leaf or much profile before adopting what became the emblem of the Laguiole knife: the bee.